Chapter 42 13 Themes
The American People Face a New Century
Big ideas matter. Here are the most important themes for this chapter.
The over-arching theme of chapter 42 is that America faces new challenges in the future.
- The high-tech sector has revolutionized the modern nation. Personal computers are the norm and the internet came with a boom. A handful of tech firms and founders became instant billionaires, many "dotcoms" busted.
- The rich-poor gap widened as the wealthy got wealthier during the Reagan-Bush-Clinton years. The rich did get richer and they paid an increasing percentage of the total taxes.
- Women broke into many places formerly reserved for men. This was true for both jobs, but also for colleges such as Ivy League schools and military schools.
- Family make-up began to change dramatically as divorce increased sharply. Births to unmarried women also increased dramatically.
- Demographic changes are seen in (a) baby boomers aging, (b) a large rise in Latino immigration, and (c) a rise of “multiculturalism”.